FRIENDS FORMER PRR FLATCAR ARRIVED IN STEWARTSTOWN ON VALENTINE’S DAY 2017

The Friends of the Stewartstown Railroad, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization, is pleased to announce it has received a piece of Pennsylvania Railroad history: former PRR flatcar #473822 donated to the Friends organization by Norfolk Southern Corporation.

The former PRR flatcar is now stored in the Stewartstown Railroad Company’s yard in Stewartstown. It was moved via highway transport by Gordon’s, our local automotive service center, on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 as planned. It had been stored in Columbia, PA for many years.

We thank Norfolk Southern Corporation for their generosity in donating the car to our organization. The Friends plans to convert the flatcar into an open-air observation car for use in the Stewartstown Railroad’s excursion program.

Donations are now being accepted to fund this project. Donations can be made online at:
https://www.gofundme.com/kth6v-prr-flatcar-restoration-fund
or directly to the Friends through its website
www.stewartstownfriends.org
or by check or money order payable to the Friends of the Stewartstown Railroad, Inc., and mailed to the Friends at P.O. Box 456, Stewartstown, PA 17363-0456.

We will also need volunteers to help paint the frame and build the open-air car. No special skills are necessary, though carpenters (or those who are handy with power tools) are certainly needed. Please contact the crew leader at 717-654-3626 for more information.

PRR Flatcar #473822 is a model F30A built in the PRR Pitcairn shops, May, 1934.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *