Under Construction, but here are some previews. All photos by Earl Long, except where noted
Locomotive Number 9 – “Mighty Mo”
Mighty Mo was built in 1943 by the Fate-Root-Heath division of Plymouth Locomotive Works, c/n 4490, model ML-8, original cost: $9,000. He was purchased used by the Stewartstown Railroad from the South Carolina Port Authority in 1960. Mo is our regular motive power for our Caboose Trains.
Locomotive Number 10
Number 10 is a General Electric 44-ton center cab locomotive built by General Electric in August, 1946, with a c/n of 28503. It is Ex-Coudersport & Port Allegany and Wellsville, Addison & Galeton Railroad #D-1. Number 10 was purchased in 1972, and then leased to Lykens Valley Railroad from 1972 to 1983. It was operated by Rail Tours, Incorporated in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania from 1983 to 1985. It has been in service at the Stewartstown Railroad from 1985 to the present, having most recently been leased to Steam Into History in New Freedom.
The Blue Caboose
The Blue Caboose is a 1967 model CA-7 Union Pacific caboose, originally numbered 25623. It was rebuilt in the 1970s, and eventually given as a gift to the Waco Company of Baltimore, where it was gutted and used as a conference room. In 2014 the Waco donated it to the Railroad. The Railroad refitted the interior with seats and rebuilt a cupola area. It is used for our caboose runs.
Coach 134 is a former Reading Railroad Company Class PBm coach #1341, was built in 1922 by the Harlan & Hollingsworth plant of Bethlehem Steel in Wilmington, DE. It is currently undergoing active restoration, and should be back in service by Autumn, 2016.
The Burro Crane is a Model 15 crane, serial number 15088, with a lifting capacity 24,000 pounds. It was built by the Cullen-Friestedt Company of Chicago, Illinois, and delivered to the Sutton Company of Oyster Point, Virginia in May of 1942. It was originally painted battleship gray, had two floodlights on the front of the cab, and had dual electric horns. It weighs just over 32,000 pounds, and is powered by a Hercules JXD six-cylinder gasoline engine. Most recently owned by the Strasburg Railroad which purchased it in 1965, it was sold to one of the Stewartstown Railroad’s directors, Mike Ruane. He has allowed the Railroad to use it as needed.